Project Management Commissioned 4/30/13: Oregon Roof Consulting (ORC) has been commissioned by a busy professional to manage this residential roofing project from beginning to end.
ORC will be responsible for:
- having quality-oriented roofing contractors bid the job;
- writing the specifications for the job;
- assist in deciding who does the roof;
- monitoring the job on a daily basis;
- photo documenting all aspects of the work;
- emailing each day's photos to the owners to show the progress;
- inspecting the completed job.
Managing your roof job is just one of the many services offered by Oregon Roof Consulting. I can save you time, money, and headaches and will make certain you get what you pay for. Guaranteed!
Bid Update: 5/15/13
The difference in bid prices was amazing considering that all five vendors were presented with the same list of products and specifications. Prices were requested for five different shingles: the difference in price for the same thing was up to $21,000! If the roofing companies were left to bid it their way, one would expect pricing to be all over the place. However, considering all were bidding the same job the same way, the pricing should have been closer. Bid monitoring is just one reason to have a qualified third-party owner advocate assist in the process, literally saving the property owner tens of thousands of dollars for the same job!
Successful Job Completion: 7/23/13
After the old shakes were removed, 1/2" plywood was installed. The plywood was gapped 1/8" everywhere, staggered properly, and all end joints are on rafters. Where necessary the original spaced sheathing was either raised or lowered so all horizontal plywood joints are over solid wood. The roof is Certainteed lifetime 'Landmark TL' in black. Included components are but not limited to:
- Lead pipe jacks sanded, primed and painted.
- 9" continuous ridge vent.
- Replace two 2X4 skylites with double E glass units.
- Use two different color metal flashings (Black / White) depending on location.
- Use 6" 'stem' or 'flapper' vents for all utility vents. Metal (never) plastic.
- Ice & Water shield in all valleys and at all protrusions.
- 5-ply lifetime 'Mountain Ridge'.
- Oversized 'D' metal at rake edges with bleeder strip.
- 6 double 'D' ring anchors evenly spaced around roof.
- Chimney counter flashing sanded, primed and painted, then screwed to chimney flashing with 1/4" hex head sheet metal screws.
- Shingles 6-nailed instead of the typical 4 nails.
- Both chimneys pressure washed and sealed prior to the roof install.
A first class job from start to finish!